navigation

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Chicken Macaroni Casserole

Need a quick and easy weeknight meal?  Need a meal you can freeze?  I have you covered!  I found this on Pinterest and I've been wanting to make this for SO long and for some reason have been putting it off.  Well I finally did it, and it was just what I expected - yummy, filling & comforting.  Oh, but it's a lightened up version, so it's not too bad for ya, another score.  I kinda thought it was going to taste like goulash, but with chicken.  I was right, it does.  Not that that's a bad thing, my grandma's goulash is one of my favorite meals of all time.  Okay okay, enough chatting, here's the deets.

You Need:
1 lb chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 box elbow noodles
1 small onion, diced
1 container mushrooms, sliced
1 c chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 fresh parsley, chopped(next time I won't use this, didn't add much to the overall dish)
1 c reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar
spices(I used mrs. dash, s&p)

Get your pasta water(salted) going, and in the meantime cook your chicken in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  I used some olive oil and seasoned it with mrs. dash.  Once that's cooked I used that same pan for my mushrooms & onions and let them go at it for a few.  At some point your pasta water boiled and you should have thrown in your noodles(duh!).  In a casserole dish put in your cooked chicken, parsley, tomatoes(drained slightly), chicken broth, your onion & mushrooms and half of your cheese.  Mix it all together until it's combined.  Add your noodles then mix some more.  Top with the remaining cheese & bake at 400 for about 25-30 mins or until cheese is melted and it's bubbling.  




It was yummy, I had seconds.  Right out of the casserole dish.  I have no shame.


2 comments:

  1. Yum. This looks like a grub meal! (As my husband would say.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, it SO was a grub meal! At least I grubbed anyway :)

      Delete

You're going to leave me a message? Awesome, I'd love to hear from you!