navigation

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Book Review - Silent Tears

Hi friends.  I have something new for you that I'm going to start up here on the blog.  Book reviews - reading is one of my alltime favorite hobbies, and I read as much as possible.  I read all sorts of stuff too, not just one kind of book.  Thrillers, easy reads, dark stories, sci fi(think hunger games, twilight.. i don't get tooo crazy sci fi!), love stories(note:  not the kind you find in the grocery store with lame covers..)



Silent Tears - A Journey of Hope in a Chinese Orphanage, by Kay Bratt

WARNING:  HAVE TISSUES READY. 
This book is no joke.  It's a real woman's story/diary of her time spent in China and she tells it how it is, and it's not pretty.  She went to China because of her husband's job, and after culture shock was over, she started to volunteer at a small, local orphanage.  I guess I didn't realize how poverty stricken China is.  I don't really know a ton about China in the first place, other than it's population is outrageous.  It's her {super sad} story of her time there, how the kids are treated in the orphanage, and how she coped.  I am an emotional wreck when it comes to kids & animals and most books/movies that involve harm to either one of those usually sends me running the other direction, but something made me really want to read this book.  So I did, and I don't regret it.  It was definitely sad, and definitely depressing.  But it was so eye opening.  Some of the stories of the kids and babies are really inspiring too.  It just goes to show how far a little love can go for a baby.  I can't imagine not showering Max with love 24/7 so the ways of the world that aren't like that is mind boggling to me.  If you need a quick read, go for it.  It was fast, easy to read and definitely kept me wanting to read more and find out what happened next.  I'd like to read more books about kids orphanages in different countries, although the entire time I was reading I wanted to adopt a Chinese baby/child or send my life savings to one in need.  So prepare yourself! 


Happy Reading!



Coming Next:  On The Island by Tracy Garvis Graves


4 comments:

  1. Aw, how great! I say that I'm always looking for new reads but I have at least 5 books lying around that I haven't even touched since buying them! I'll keep this one on my list though. It sounds really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really sweet how much joy these women bring to the babies, but it's also super sad - so brace yourself :) Oh, and get readin' missy! :)

      Delete
  2. So excited that you are posting about book reviews!! I love to read and cant wait to read this one. Sounds great!!

    Ciara
    lovely-darling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're liking the book review idea! I was hoping I wasn't boring everyone :)

      Delete

You're going to leave me a message? Awesome, I'd love to hear from you!