navigation

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Faux Pho

Now, everyone pay attention, this recipe is very precise...

Gotcha!  You'll never hear me say that, ever, I swear.  This is the easiest recipe, and it's a slow cooker recipe too which makes it even easier!!

You need:
1-2 lbs meat(beef, chicken, pork)
1 medium onion, sliced
3 green onions, sliced
6-8 c broth(flavor depending on what meat you use)
2-3 tsp anise
2-3 cinnamon sticks
2-3 tsp fish oil
1/2 inch peeled ginger root
Salt
Pepper
1/2-1 pkg rice noodles
Cilantro, bean sprouts, sriracha for garnish



Here's where the hard part begins.  Put everything in your crock pot(except noodles and garnishes), turn the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours.  Leave, come back in 4-6 hours.  Cook your rice noodles.  Eat.

I know, very complicated.  I have a few things I need to put out there. This is NOT authentic pho, so please, don't give me a hard time here!  Me and the Hubs loooove going out for vietnamese, but can't always find the time to do it, so I came up with an easy, faux pho recipe.  This is fairly close to the real deal as far as flavors go.  More importantly, Josh approved!  Second, the varying measurements are just because some people might not want as much or might want more(quantity wise).  So alter it to your tastes and needs as far as quantity.  I usually make enough for a dinner, leftovers then freeze a batch of the broth for a later date.  Also, in the above picture, notice I had no green onions.  The helpful baggers at the grocery store missed putting a bag in my cart and I didn't notice until last night.  So I replaced the green onions with some garlic .  I kinda work this way with most cooking, I use what's on hand and if one or two ingredients are missing I either use something else/similar or just forget about it totally.  Hope you all enjoy and hope this gives you your pho fix!


I made this with beef last week and that was totally delicious too!!  

Happy Eats Sweets,
Linds

2 comments:

You're going to leave me a message? Awesome, I'd love to hear from you!