navigation

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Green bean, tomato & bacon casserole

Last night I wanted something mostly veggie and meatless for dinner.  I had a few over the top cravings(which I gave into) during the course of the day, so dinner had to be light.  I had fresh green beans that I wanted to use up and figured I'd make green bean casserole.  I was making BLT's for the boys though, so thought I'd add bacon.  Then decided oh, wouldn't tomatoes be good too?  At that point I figured I'd just switch the whole thing up.  Glad I did, because it was super tasty!
Warning:  this is not your Momma's green bean casserole!


You Need:
1 lb fresh green beans(or frozen and thawed)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tsp thyme
5 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled(or 5 tbsp real bacon bits)
1/2 panko bread crumbs
Steam your beans for about 5 mins in the microwave before baking.  While they're steaming, combine in a large bowl the mushroom soup, tomatoes, thyme & bacon crumbles.  Once your beans are steamed, add them to the mixture and combine.  Place in a 9x13 baking dish that is lightly sprayed with cooking spray.  Top with half the panko crumbs.  Bake for 20-30 mins at 350 or until bubbly.  Stir the beans, top with the remaining panko crumbs and set your oven to broil.  Put back into oven under broiler for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.  



p.s. - just ate leftovers for lunch, and dare I say they may have been better reheated?!



No comments:

Post a Comment

You're going to leave me a message? Awesome, I'd love to hear from you!