navigation

Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Bowl Sliders & Their SKINNY Counterparts!

So what if the Super Bowl is over?  Game day food is one of the best foods, and it doesn't have to be crazy rich and packed with calories to be delicious!  I made two different sliders for the game, and they were awesome.  They could definitely be a week night dinner as well as a pot luck meal or party food.  I made pesto meatball sliders with sharp provolone and buffalo chicken sliders with ranch cole slaw - uhhh YUM!

Buffalo Chicken Sliders:
2 c shredded chicken
1/4-1/2 c Frank's red hot(Frank's has my heart!!!)
1 tsp honey
2 tbsp butter
To skinny it up:  eliminate the butter!
 In a large pan warm your meat, hot sauce & butter until.  I used a masher to crumble my chicken up nice & small and incorporate all of the ingredients.  Once they're all warmed they're ready to either be stored for later(which I did), or ready to eat!!
 Ranch Cole Slaw:
1 bag cole slaw mix
1/2-3/4 c mayo
1-2 tsp sugar
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
To skinny it up:  use low fat mayo, splenda instead of sugar(I would guess 1 packet would do the job)
The cole slaw was super easy, and a nice twist to classic cole slaw!  I just mixed together all of the ingredients in a large bowl until combined.  I would go low on the mayo & sugar then add more as needed.  

Easy Marinara Sauce(Courtesy of Skinny Taste)
1 tsp olive oil
28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, smashed(I used minced)
1 small bay leaf(which I didn't have, so I didn't use)
1 tsp oregano
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil(I used 1 tsp dry)
salt & pepper to taste
It's ALREADY skinny!
 Saute your onions and garlic in the olive oil under soft.
 Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer.  

Meatballs:
1 lb meatball mix(beef, pork & veal)
1/4 c panko bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1/2 c parmesan cheese
1tbsp worcestershire 
1 tsp italian seasoning blend
To skinny it up:  use ground turkey, use 3 egg whites, use 1/4 c parmesan - and for the toppings, use low fat cheese or eliminate the cheese(the pesto is so flavorful you won't miss it!)
 Mix all ingredients in a large bowl(your hands work best!)
 I shaped mine into lime size balls.
 Brown in a large pan.
 I pressed mine down a bit since they were going to be used for sliders.
 Place in oven at 350 for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
 For the meatball sliders I placed my meatball, some extra sauce, sharp provolone and a dollop of pesto on a toasted slider roll.
 For the buffalo chicken sliders I placed a scoop of the chicken mixture and a scoop of the cole slaw on a toasted slider roll.
Sooooooooooooooooo DELISH.  Enjoy! :)

The meatball sliders were my favorite, both were amazing but the meatballs just blew me away.  I think the pesto threw them over the top!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You're going to leave me a message? Awesome, I'd love to hear from you!